Sunday 6 February 2011

2nd February Puno – Cusco 246 miles

Left Puno this morning and as we climbed out of the City Martin stopped to take a photograph looking down on the City, I cruised slowly on and moved to the nearside to allow one of the famed minibuses to pass which he did and promptly turned right straight into me. I thought I was off but somehow managed to stay on and recovered, he stopped and we exchanged verbal descriptions in opposing languages. Martin arrived and my footpeg was jammed in a tilted position, after a couple of clouts with a rock it sprang back into position. There seemed no point in hanging around and trying to argue our corner in English so we went on our way.
A lot later we stopped and decided to have something to eat, we only had snacks but when I went to open my pannier it had been moved towards the bike in the accident and I was unable to open it, so that would have been lunch scuppered but Martin had some sugar puff things and I had an apple.
In the distance we could see rain in the air and eventually we ran straight into it, this is probably the worst rain we have had during the trip and although we were dressed for it, it was pretty unpleasant.
We finally made Cusco in the dry but we were still very damp. Found a hotel and got ensconced and then we walked around the corner to the ‘Norton Rats’, a pub named after the British bike and drank draught Old Speckled Hen. I don’t know what the history is but there are posters all around the walls of bikes and National flags pinned to the ceiling, we didn’t see and English flag which seemed a little strange.
Having eaten we left and headed for one of the travel info shops to enquire about Machu Picchu but unfortunaltely they were all closed so an equiry at our hotel and we were booked on a trip the following morning leaving at 6.30 for 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here we are: