Sunday 16 January 2011

16th January Bolivia – Calima 129 miles over 7000 total now

Having eventually got up, i would normally say woken up but I don’t think sleep featured last night. Martin was already rewarming in the hot pool and what a fantastic sight with flamingos strutting around the lake. Lots of tourints had turned up and it looked like a Toyota 4x4 rally, lots of nationalities and most but not all sampling the hot pool. I didn’t partake as I still felt lousy and my leg was hurting, I was feeling sorry for myself.
We had some sausages for breakfast but I didn’t fancy them so a banana each was breakfast. Pack up camp minus the howling wind that so ably assisted us last night.
So it is decided we are going back, neither of us fancy it but it may be better than what lies ahead. We make reasonable progress with me ticking the miles off. In fact we didn;t do bad at all, only took 2 hours this time with 4 faults for me and a clear round for Martin.
Same guy at the border control distraught that we are leaving but I explain that I cannot ride on the roads. He points to a border crossing further North and said the roads are better, so thats where we are headed. To the top of the hill and massive descent to check back into \chile and off to Calima.
Its great to have some tarmac beneath my tyres and I can now listen to my new music courtesy of Martin.
We have checked into a hotel and had a good clean up. We were covered in dust from Bolivia and some of it is so fine it is like talcum powder. Out for a beer and off to Bolivia again tomorrow, take 2.

3 comments:

  1. Boy that looks hard work - especially with the altitude sapping your energy, strength and will.
    Hang on in there guys, hopefully the next border crossing will be easier - they must have SOME tarmac in Bolivia!!!
    Great pics by the way, and I envy you your Dakar trip - I've been following it on Eurosport here of course. Got very exciting in both the cars and bikes with some all out racing going on and only seconds separating competitors after thousands of kms off road.
    Good luck with the next attempt into Bolivia and try and rest that leg David!
    Bestest wishes as always
    ;o)) Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    The nurse in me wants to check your leg, I know Jo would feel the same. Can you take a picture? At least you both can look after each other.
    I know you are ok as George said that you spoke on the phone yesterday, so that’s ok. Took the boys climbing, Grant and I went and had a pizza, they are good there. The boys were happy, as usual talking nineteen to the dozen, they had a good instructor and a few people have dropped out of the class.
    Anyway all fine.
    Putting comments on here is a bit difficult, it keeps logging you out and you lose your comment. A tip for anyone else – type into word first so that you have the comment as it removes it each time!!!!
    Lots of love
    Kim
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS forgot to say, please be careful on that dangerous road. I hate heights!
    Kim
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Here we are: